I’m not sure if I talk about it much, or even enough, but being born with Cystic Fibrosis, and now being in my late 30’s…being healthy is one of my biggest priorities.
I have goals, one in particular is to live an extremely long and healthy life, and in particular to be able to dance with my son at his wedding one day. (He’s 8 at the time of this post)
So I’ve spent years finding natural remedies for all kinds of ailments, particularly respiratory. The thing is, antibiotics are full of chemicals, and while sometimes they are necessary…they are horribly over prescribed and depended upon. They strip your body of the bad AND the good bacteria, and while most people’s immune systems can handle that…some of ours can’t.
So before I ever reach for that bottle or head to the pharmacy, I try out home remedies and herbal health FIRST. Now the bottom line with herbs, supplements and vitamins is preventative medicine. The key is to amp up your immune system so you never have to raise the white flag and get that script written. I’ll mention the herbs, supplements and vitamins that I use for that exact purpose, but also I want to include some every day alternatives. That way you aren’t grabbing for those chemical laden bottles for something that can be taken care of with Mother Nature. ❤︎
4 Immune Boosting Supplements:
- Vitamin D– Heck yes. Good ole’ sunlight. Did you know that getting a sufficient amount of vitamin D is important for normal growth and development of bones and teeth, as well as improved resistance against certain diseases? Yes, and that includes the flu. So if you’re not getting enough, make sure you add this to your supplement cabinet.
- Vitamin C– We all have heard this one. But do you understand why? Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. It helps to regenerate tissues and combat free radicals, which cause illness and diseases. Fruits and vegetables have Vitamin C, so make sure you load up on those leafy greens and citrus.
- Turmeric– Turmeric is an impressive antioxidant. In it is a compound called curcumin that has potent antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties known to boost your immune system. And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. The curcumin in turmeric has been shown to prevent diabetes, lower the chance of heart attacks, and even prevent cancer.
- Gingko Bilboa– Gingko biloba’s leaves contain antioxidant compounds called bilobalides and ginkgolides that protect the body from damage caused by free radicals. On top of that, it has also been found to protect against radiation.
3 Herbs/Supplements for When You Start to Feel Sick:
- Double-E Immune Booster Tea– this tea is jammed packed full of antioxidant, anti-viral and antibiotic herbs. It’s a blend made at the Bulk Herb Store and it’s something to drink when you’re starting to feel run down or coming down with a cold. The combination of these herbs will heal you up quickly and you’ll be back to yourself in no time! The tea includes: Organic Nettle Leaf, Organic Peppermint Leaf, Organic Echinacea Root, Organic Echinacea Tops, Organic Elderberries, Organic Eleuthero Root & Organic Rose Hips and on those links, it explains in detail what each herb can do for your immune system. It’s amazing how much nature can help us!
- Colloidal Silver– Colloidal Silver is a solution of, you guessed it- silver and water. It is one of the most powerful bacterial killers out there, INCLUDING antibiotics. It kills even MRSA and Pseudomonas, which is exactly what causes pneumonia in CF patients lungs. This one, for whatever reason, is controversial. Doctors will tell you it’s ineffective, however there is plenty of proof online if you look, including this video of how colloidal silver kills bacteria. The key is to get a small ppm (parts per million) so there is more silver colloids per parts of water. I have done exhaustive research to find out which is the best, seeing how many ppm it’s supposed to be and what type. I have found that Sovereign Silver 10pppm exactly what is needed to be safe and effective. Low ppm, in a hydrosol solution so that the particles cover the largest surface area.
- My All Natural Flu Capsules– work wonders for reducing the timing of flu symptoms, so make sure you check out that post HERE. They are another combination of herbs, and I explain all of the herbs individually, so you can see how they help to naturally fight the flu virus if you feel like you’re coming down with it.
4 Every Day Home Remedies:
- Headaches– For headaches around my house, we use White Willow Bark that I’ve made into a tincture and put in capsules. White willow bark is known for relieving pain. It’s main substance is salicin, which helps relieve pain very quickly and it is the main ingredient in aspirin. White willow bark is what aspirin was made of in the early days of medicine, but because of cost of production, they found a way to chemically make it and voila, now you have your traditional over the counter pain reliever. The great thing about taking White Willow, aside from the fact that it is a completely natural alternative that is just as, if not more, effective, is that it will not thin the blood or irritate the stomach like aspirin. Pregnant women should not take white willow, though.
- Burns– Y’all, I burn myself almost every time I cook. LOL. It’s horrible! I know how to cook too, I don’t know why I always burn a finger, or worse- my forearm reaching in the oven…it’s so crazy. (And kind of funny). So yeah, needless to say I needed to find something that worked to soothe the burn and I found it. You’ve heard of Aloe Vera for sunburns, but I needed something antibacterial so that I didn’t infect the burn, but also to stop the insane heat of an oven burn or curling iron burn (I told you, it’s ridiculous lol). So I found Comfrey. It’s an amazing herb, it contains allantoin, an anti-inflammatory phytochemical that speeds wound healing, stimulates the grow of new skin cells, and give the immune system a lift. Comfrey salve should be a mainstay of your home first aid kit!! Use it on cuts, scrapes, rashes, sunburn, and almost any skin irritation. Comfrey salve can also bring comfort to aching arthritic joints, and sore muscles. (which us workout love bugs need!) Recipe post for this salve is right here. Just make some in advance, even keep it in the fridge for longer life and for that extra cooling factor when you get a burn.
- Sleep-Aid– There are nights when my brain just won’t turn off. I know a lot of y’all are with me on that. For those insomnia nights, I always take 2 capsules of Skullcap. Even the name implies it’s help with sleeping! Skullcap is a comforting herb, traditionally used to alleviate nervous tension and exhaustion. It is used to promote emotional well-being and relaxation during times of occasional distress and anxiety.
- Cough– This one I deal with on a regular basis, so I feel somewhat of a cough expert, you could say. One of the herbs that can clear out mucus and dilate the tight bronchial passages is Lobelia, and I use that one in combination with Mullein, another herb with expectorant properties that may help loosen mucus and expel it out of the body. If I’m having trouble with asthma, I add a little peppermint herb or even essential oil to it to soothe my airway passages and help ease the inflammation. I usually put those all together in a tea and breathe in the fumes while it steeps, then I enjoy the tea with some local honey. (Which helps fight allergies!)
I hope all of my research and health nut dedication helps you and your families! I know that when it comes to my health, I do everything I can to naturally heal myself first, before I resort to the use of antibiotics. This way, our bodies work in conjunction with the herbs and supplements, making our systems stronger in the long haul, not stripping it of much needed bacteria in order for our immune systems to work properly. Let me know in the comments which remedy you try!
*For educational purposes only This information has not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration.
This information is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.