So we all know chicken is one of the leanest meats….and that it packs a lot of protein without having to sacrifice too many fat macros, am I right?
But don’t you get so TIRED of chicken??
Yeah. Me too.
Now, there’s complicated and fancy recipes and ways you can jazz it up, but this isn’t one of them. This is literally a GO TO RECIPE….one to reach for on those nights when you just don’t have the energy for something complicated. The nights when kids and hubby are starving asking, “when is dinner?” and you don’t want to choose take out, or restaurant, because it’s not your cheat day, damnit!
Well no worries. Here’s an easy, quick and simple recipe that you can literally toss together and it’ll feel like you’ve just taken part in a very yummy Mexican cheat day. Mmmm……:) AND, count yourself lucky Love Bug!! I’ve never given ANYONE my world famous pico recipe…and now here it is for you to have!
GRILLED CHICKEN TACO WITH MY WORLD FAMOUS PICO DE GALLO
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast, about 6 oz each
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 8 corn tortillas (2 per person)
For Pico de Gallo:
- 4 tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 white or sweet onion
- 2-4 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro (to taste)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and minced
- 4 limes, juiced
- 1 tbsp pink himilayan salt
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, oregano, and pepper.
- Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Let it sit while you make the pico.
- For the pico, chop the tomatoes, onions, cilantro and seed and mince the jalapeno.
- Toss in a bowl.
- Squeeze 4-5 limes over the entire bowl (you should see the juice in the bottom if it is enough) and add the salt.
- Combine and taste. The taste should be tart but spicy. (Not your typical pico! But oh so addicting!)
- Heat your grill.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade once the grill is ready and cook one side until browned. Flip and brown the other side.
- If you are unable to grill, simply bake the chicken on 450 for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut up the chicken once it’s rested a little while (this keeps the juices from flowing out!)
- Serve inside the tortilla, topped with the pico.
- Add some green veggies on the side and you have a completely macro balanced meal that is sure to fit in your macro count for the day!
The hottest part of the jalapeno is the white membrane that connects the seeds to the green flesh. By slicing that off, you will have less heat and more tart to this pico recipe.
For a Printable Version:
Make sure you pin this recipe or share this on your Facebook or Instagram page!
And once you try it, head over to Love Bug Fitness FB Page and tell me all about it! Be sure to tag it #foodiefriday!